The St. Augustine Alligator Farm was first established in 1893, making it one of Florida’s oldest continually operating attractions. While the primary creation of the zoo was for entertainment purposes, over the years, it has become so much more. To date, the Alligator Farm Zoological Park features a collection of fascinating and intriguing animals, birds, and reptiles, including a large variety of native alligators. On a visit here, you’ll get to see these amazing specimens up close and learn more about these species, their habitat, and their needs.
Thousands of people visit the St. Augustine Alligator Farm each year. Of course, the main attraction to the park is the alligators, but other beautiful species at the park include lemurs, Komodo Dragons, toucans, and sloths. From daily wildlife shows, educational exhibits, animal encounters, a “crocodile crossing zip line,” and much more, you’ll see there’s plenty to explore on a visit to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm.
Before you start filling your itinerary with fun outings like seeing alligators and crocodiles, you’ll want to secure your lodging. Our Bed and Breakfast in St. Augustine is the perfect place! Thankfully, The Alligator Farm is located on Anastasia Island, just about ten minutes by car from our B&B—so if that’s on your agenda, you’ll be nearby. As one of the oldest Bed and Breakfasts in St. Augustine, we have a reputation for fantastic hospitality, comfortable accommodations, and a long list of complimentary amenities. Join us in St. Augustine and book your room today!
Explore the St. Augustine Alligator Farm
The St. Augustine Alligator Farm is by far one of the most popular things to do in the area. It’s located on the beautiful Anastasia Island, which is just about ten minutes from the historic downtown area and our bed and breakfast in St. Augustine. There are other activities to explore on Anastasia Island as well, so if you’d like to make a day of it, you’ll find plenty to fill the time.
Here are five things to know about the St. Augustine Alligator Farm before you go:
- Daily Wildlife Shows: From live alligator feedings, a scales and tales reptile show, and a rainforest review of some of the most extraordinary animals, you won’t want to miss the daily wildlife shows. They are offered every day and vary in location and time depending on the weather.
- Animal Encounters: For a private animal encounter, the personable handlers at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm offer smaller groups the opportunity to get even closer to these magnificent creatures. From meeting Maximo (a 15-foot, 1,250-pound crocodile) and Galapagos tortoises or hanging out with the resident sloths, these encounters are unforgettable experiences for the whole family.
- Crocodile Crossing Zip Line: For a once-in-a-lifetime chance to soar high above the tropical habitat. There are seven acres with two challenging courses; you’ll see live alligators and crocodiles below, tropical birds in the trees, and red-ruffed lemurs almost within reach.
- Conservation and Research: They are working towards a greater future at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm, where animals and humans share this beautiful planet. You can learn more about the 1981 Species Survival Plan and how they do their part to maintain and protect these amazing animals.
- Hours and Tickets: The St. Augustine Alligator farm is open 365 days a year from 9 am to 5 pm. Adult tickets cost approximately $35 per person, and they do offer a few discounted rates. Pop by the Toucan Tina Cafe for snacks and drinks during your visit.
While you’re on Anastasia Island, visit the lovely 1,600-acre state park with beautiful sweeping dunes, a sandy shoreline for a stroll, and hiking trails through the marshes. Feel free to ask your Innkeepers at our bed and breakfast in St. Augustine for help with purchasing tickets, transportation, or directions.
Stay at our Bed and Breakfast in St. Augustine
Our historic bed and breakfast in St. Augustine is ready to welcome you to the oldest city in the nation! The St. Francis Inn is just steps from many popular attractions, monuments, delectable restaurants, and charming shops in the historic district. We’re also just a quick drive or trolley ride to the other activities like the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. Our bed and breakfast in St. Augustine is a part of the city’s epic history, being built in 1791 and is often referred to as the town’s “oldest inn.” And while the historical charm exudes our space, it also includes all the modern comforts you crave when on vacation.
All of our guest rooms and suites have private baths, beautiful antique or reproduction furniture, heat and air-conditioning, king or queen-size beds, and much more. And you’ll have access to our garden courtyard, refreshing pool, and lovely outdoor seating areas. After a day of exploration in the oldest city in the nation, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you are returning to a quiet, casual, and elegant space—with warm and welcoming hospitality to boot.
Also, during your stay, you’ll quickly see that the list of complimentary amenities rivals that of any other lodging property in St. Augustine. Well, one exception is our sister B&B, Casa de Sueños, an intimate location offering the same list of freebies with your stay. This includes a fantastic breakfast each morning and an afternoon social hour with snacks and adult beverages. If you are ready for the best vacation at our Bed and Breakfast in St. Augustine, book your stay with us today!