Each year, nearing the holiday season, the St. Augustine Night of Lights transforms the city into a sparkling masterpiece. More than three million lights adorn the buildings, historic structures, and palm trees, lighting up the evenings. It’s a lovely time of year to explore the Florida coast, and the St. Augustine Night of Lights makes it particularly memorable.
The award-winning St. Augustine Night of Lights festival is celebrating its 28th year, but the event is a call back to the ancient Spanish tradition of lighting a candle in the window around the holidays—a sign to welcome visitors. The whole city, including local businesses and even residents, participate in lighting up the skyline. The touring companies in the area offer special St. Augustine Night of Lights routes for the most dazzling views.
As a guest at the St. Francis Inn, our St. Augustine Bed and Breakfast, you’ll find that we add our light strings to the event as well. We love this time of year, and you’ll see that reflected in our memorable holiday touches around the Inn. The St. Augustine Night of Lights begins November 20, 2021, and runs through the new year to January 31, 2022.
Visit the St. Augustine Night of Lights in 2021
While the entire city will be a bright shining light during the holiday season, joining one of the local touring companies to view the best displays is a necessary addition to any vacation. Whether you choose to view from an old-time trolley car, sailing on the water, or by private golf cart, there are so many ways to take in the sparkling spectacle of the St. Augustine Night of Lights.
Here are five local companies offering special St. Augustine Night of Lights tours:
- Old Town Trolley: For many residents and visitors, viewing the Night of Lights from the local trolley tour is a family tradition. It’s one of the most popular ways to take in the sparkling lights, architecture, and historic buildings of St. Augustine. The tour also includes free sugar cookies and hot apple cider!
- Ripley’s Red Trains: Head to the Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum and hop on the Red Train express. The Night of Lights tours last about 30 minutes and offer riders interesting historical tidbits about the city and great views for taking in the holiday lights.
- The Tasting Tours: Whether by private horse-drawn carriage or larger group rides for up to 10 passengers, this local touring company pairs the St. Augustine Night of Lights tour with wine tasting.
- St. Augustine Land and Sea Tours: This local touring company offers a host of tours by boat or golf cart to explore the city best. You’ll pass by the most lighted areas for the festival, including St. Augustine Waterfront, Plaza de la Constitucion, Flagler College, and the Lightner Building.
- Schooner Freedom: Climb aboard the largest US Coastal Service certified vessel in St. Augustine and take in the beautiful Nights of Lights display from the water. The boat named Freedom is decked out in more than 2,000 lights from stem to stern, as well!
As always, all of us here at our St. Augustine Bed and Breakfast are happy to help our guests plan the best outings for their time here in St. Augustine. Please ask, and we can offer you some local insight and advice for things you do not want to miss!
Festive Holiday Lodging at Our Florida B&B
Our St. Augustine Bed and Breakfast is an ideal place for your holiday lodging. Of course, our wintertime weather here is generally mild, while the daytime temps sit in the 60s and 70s still. It can get a bit nippy in the evenings, which makes our Inn even cozier. Our 16 guest suites are all unique in size, configuration, and appointments—meaning there’s a perfect fit for everyone.
We also offer a host of free amenities to make your stay comforting and relaxing! You’ll find small touches like nighttime snacks and complimentary cream sherry to more extensive perks, including our heated swimming pool and breakfast buffet with extended brunch service on weekends and holidays. Start planning ahead for the St. Augustine Night of Lights and book your next stay with us today!